- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 slices pineapple or 1 can (20 ounces) can of drained pineapple chunks
- maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk (*I used 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup pineapple juice)
DirectionsIn a 9-inch square cake pan, melt butter; sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange pineapple and cherries on sugar, making a design.
Make cake batter: Cream 1/2 cup butter; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk; beat until smooth, ending with dry ingredients. Pour over pineapple design. Bake at 375° for about 35 minutes. Let cake cool for about 5 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 6-8 slices
Recipe from SouthernFood.About.Com
Star Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars