- 4 (5-ounce) boneless, skinless, trimmed chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 pound Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus extra for garnish, grated
- Olive oil, for frying (about 2 cups)
- 1 pound penne rigate, cooked al dente
- Tomato Sauce (Pasta Sauce)
- 1/4 cup minced Italian parsley, for garnish
Lightly pound the chicken breasts to 1/2-inch thickness. Combine the kosher salt, sugar, and 1 quart of water in a 1-gallon size resealable plastic bag; shake until dissolved. Add the chicken breasts and soak at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Place the flour in a medium bowl. Remove the chicken from the brine. Shake off excess moisture and, with tongs, lightly dredge the chicken in the flour. Shake off the excess flour and transfer to a large plate.
Mix the eggs and milk in medium bowl and whisk thoroughly. In a separate bowl combine the bread crumbs, oregano, basil, parsley, sea salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the egg and milk mixture with tongs and let excess mixture drain off. Now dredge the chicken into the bread crumb mixture, and lightly pat down in the bread crumbs to adhere.
Preheat the broiler.
Let the breaded chicken sit for 5 minutes before frying. In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, add enough olive oil to come 1/3 up the side of the chicken. Cook the chicken in batches until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the pan when cooked and place on a sheet tray. Repeat with remaining chicken.
When all the chicken is cooked, sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan evenly over the top. Place under the broiler until the cheese melts and is golden brown.
Serve chicken over pasta and ladle tomato sauce on top. Garnish with additional Parmesan and parsley.
Makes 4 servings
Recipe from Guy's Big Bite on Food Network.
Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars