Friday, January 1, 2010

#6 :: Black Eyed Peas {Blackeye Peas}

These are a Texas tradition for New Year's Day. I grew up to my Dad eating them every New Year's Day. Imagine my horror when I moved to Ohio and I couldn't find them at any grocery store. After 4 years of not having them, this year I asked my mom to ship me some cans from Texas, and she did...but it turned out that they weren't going to make it by New Year's Day. So, by some New Year's miracle, I found a bag of dried blackeye peas at the grocery store and did a little happy dance. Then I called my mom for instructions and she gave me some instructions and tips. Now my 2010 will be lucky!


Ingredients

  • 1 bag of dried blackeye peas
  • 1/2 cup of bacon, cooked & chopped
  • 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
  • Palm full of Mrs. Dash
  • Salt to taste

Directions

Soak the beans in a pot of cold water overnight.

Bring the pot of beans to a boil. Add the bacon, sweet onion and Mrs.Dash and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the beans are soft.


Makes a large pot full. :)

Recipe from: My Mom

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment